Shaun C. Southworth
Contact Me :
Attorney Shaun C. Southworth is the founding attorney of Southworth PC – practicing from his offices in Atlanta, GA and Washington D.C, and representing federal employees and former federal employee worldwide.
He has over 20,000, hours of experience, and when justice requires, he enjoys taking on any employer, including large governmental agencies, such as the Department of Defense, Department of Justice, Department of Veterans Affairs, and others. For his clients, he has not only obtained dispositive results, but also substantial five-figure settlements, six-figure settlements, settlements around half a-million dollars, settlements that have changed the way the workplace is structured, and settlements that have allowed his clients to continue working under their terms.*
Mr. Southworth is a graduate of the Duke University School of Law, where at graduation he received the "Faculty Award for Outstanding Achievement in Labor and Employment Law," an award not given every year. He was also named the Neill James Blue Scholar. After Duke, Mr. Southworth was a labor and employment associate at an "Am Law 100" law firm, a distinction reserved for America's largest law firms. Before founding Southworth PC, Mr. Southworth was also the senior attorney at one of America's premier employment and federal practice boutiques, where he supervised other employment attorneys and designed the litigation strategies for numerous employment cases against entities ranging from Fortune 500 companies, to large governmental agencies.
As an employment attorney, Mr. Southworth has represented clients in most areas of employment law, including federal careers defense, sexual harassment and discrimination claims, racial harassment and discrimination claims, age harassment and discrimination claims, disability harassment and discrimination claims, medical leave interference and retaliation claims, wage and hour individual and class actions, and breach of employment agreement and fraud claims, among others. He has litigated claims before federal and state courts, before the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, before the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, before arbitration panels, before the EEOC's administrative judges in hearings and otherwise, before the Merit Systems Protection Board, and before the United States Office of Personnel Management.
He has represented clients residing in most states nationwide and uses pro hac and co-counsel relationships as appropriate.
Before matriculating at Duke in North Carolina, Mr. Southworth was a middle school English teacher in Nevada as part of the Teach for America program. Mr. Southworth is also an honors graduate of Grinnell College in Iowa.
Mr. Southworth is committed to his clients and appreciates the opportunity to advance employment and civil rights.
* Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome in future cases.
- Duke University School of Law, Durham, North Carolina
- Juris Doctor - 05/2009
- Honors: Faculty Labor and Employment Award
- Honors: Neill James Blue Scholar
- Grinnell College, Iowa
- Bachelor of Arts - 05/2004
- Honors: With Honors
- Honors: Trustee Honor Scholar
- Honors: Humanities Scholar
- Federal Sector Litigation
- Federal Careers Defense
- Equal Opportunity Employment
- Reasonable Accommodation Law
- Federal Workers Compensation
- Disability Retirement
- Missouri, 2009
- U.S. District Court Western District of Missouri, 2009
- U.S. District Court District of Kansas, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 2010
- Kansas, 2010
- Georgia, 2012
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia
Classes & Seminars
- Former Middle School English teacher as Part of the “Teach for America” Program
- National Employment Lawyers Association, 2012 to 2017
Current Employment Position
- Founding Attorney
- Husch Blackwell LLP, Associate